Easy Brown Rice Pasta & Veggies
If you’re anything like me, this time of year you want nothing more than comfort food. And you know what’s comforting, a big bowl of pasta.
But again, if you’re like me, you probably committed to being healthier this year and find yourself in the gym daily. You probably are also cooking healthier food so that your results will show. So, pasta is likely a no no right about now.
But I can eat rice and there’s a such thing as brown rice pasta. At first, I was hesitant but then I tried it and it was delicious! I played around with it and came up with this recipe which I think is great as a side dish or you could even have it by itself if you aren’t watching your weight.
This recipe is easy, healthy and delicious. It’s also very customizable. If you don’t like the veggies I’ve used, sub in whatever you like. Let me know if you make it!
Easy Brown Rice Pasta with Veggies
- 1/2 bag brown rice pasta (or two cups)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms I used shiitake
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Put on a large pot of water to boil with one tablespoon salt. When water is boiling, add pasta and cook to directions on the package.
- Heat a skillet on medium high and when hot, add the olive oil. When oil is hot, add onion and cook for two to three minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until you smell the garlic.
- Add the peppers and mushrooms and cook for five minutes, stirring the pan frequently. Add the zucchini, salt and pepper. Stir for another minute or two.
- Drain the cooked pasta and put into the pan. Toss vegetables with the pasta and add sriracha if using. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately.