Last week, I was home with my son who was sick. He turned two on Tuesday and is in that in between stage of toddler and big boy. But he’s still a bit clingy when he’s ready and wants to nap with his mommy all the time.
When we were home, he slept for the majority of the morning which gave me the perfect opportunity to whip up something delicious and healthy for breakfast. On a normal weekday, I usually scramble two eggs with a handful of spinach and eat it at my desk with half an avocado and an apple. I look forward to more creative, interesting breakfasts on the days I’m not working.
After scouring through the fridge and pantry, I realized I had all the makings of a yummy breakfast taco, a breakfast I love but rarely make. From start to finish, these take about 15 minutes so they could be a weekday breakfast if I woke up early enough to make them.
I wrote this recipe for two people to have three tacos each. But, it could easily feed four people depending on how hungry everyone is. I used corn tortillas but flour would be just as good. Oh, and the toppings are totally up to you., If you don’t eat dairy, omit the feta. You can add salsa if you want or leave out the avocado all together. Also, if you eat meat, some chicken sausage would be delicious here. OK, let’s do this!
Fast, easy, yummy vegetarian breakfast tacos.
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 vegetarian sausages such as Field Roast
- 2 large hndfuls of baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1 avocado, diced or mashed
- 2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 2 scallions, sliced on a bias
- 2 tsp sriracha or hot sauce
- 6-8 small corn or flour tortillas
- Heat a skillet on medium add and spray with cooking spray. Add the onions and peppers and cook, stirring frequently for about three minutes. Add the sausage and cook for an additional two minutes then add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Wisk and pour into the skillet. Scramble the mixture until the eggs are scrambled.
- Warm the tortillas in a toaster oven, microwave or on top of the burner until soft and warmed through. I usually toast in my toaster oven for two minutes.
- It’s time to assemble the tacos., Evenly distribute the egg mixture on to the tortillas, Top with mashed or diced avocado, feta hot sauce and scallions. Eat immediately.