I was going to write a long post about my love for pasta and how much I love sauces and pizza and all that. But I stopped myself because it’s not that serious!
But for real, I love pasta and I love a good pasta sauce. Growing up, my mom used to make spaghetti all the time but she would put big chunks of onions, peppers and mushrooms, all of which I hated. So I would sit and pick it all out.
Thankfully, I’ve grown up and my palette has matured. But I still don’t link big chunks of veggies in my sauce so I don’t so that to my boys. For this easy tomato sauce, I cook onions until they’ve sweated and add some garlic and then tomatoes. It’s super easy and goes well with pasta or on a pizza. Make it on Sunday and your pasta night will be so much easier during the week. Let’s do this!
Easy Tomato Sauce
An easy, multi purpose tomato sauce that can be used for a bunch of dishes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt and pepper, each
- 1 tsp honey
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium. Once it’s hot, add the onion and cook until translucent, about five minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan with the salt and pepper and stir everything to combine. Cook for about ten minutes.
- Turn the heat down and add the honey. Cook for another ten minutes or until the sauce turns to a deeper red. Check for seasonings and add more salt and pepper if needed. You may also want to add more honey if it’s too acidic. Once the sauce is ready, serve with your favourite pasta.