Happy New Year + How to reset after the holidays
Happy New Year! I can’t believe it’s 2019!! It seemed like 2018 flew on by and left without warning.
But, out with the old in with the new. While I’m not making any resolutions, I did make a list of seven things I’m leaving behind in 2018. If you haven’t had a chance to check it out, you can read it here. I also wrote out a list of personal goals for 2019, which I plan to record in my voice notes and listen to every night.
My main goal is working on myself in all areas. One of the biggest areas is continuing to live and healthy, fit lifestyle. If you’re anything like me, you had setbacks over the past few weeks. But that’s OK. We are all human and we make mistakes. The key is learning from the mistakes.
With that said, I figured we could all use some tips on resetting after the holidays. I know I didn’t go all out like I normally do, but I definitely drank more than usual and ate more than usual. I’m back in the gym today and I’ve prepared my lunch for the week, but some actionable tips are always welcome.
Jenia Thompson from Align Health & Fitness gave me five great tips to share with you on how to get it back after all the indulging over the holidays. Let get into it!
1) Start your day off with a nice little concoction of water, lemon, apple cider vinegar (ACV) and turmeric with a splash of honey!! This will help to reset your digestive system and treat it with some love that it’s probably been missing over the last couple of weeks! Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into a cup and add a splash of water, a tablespoon of ACV, a teaspoon of turmeric powder and a squeeze of honey. Drink immediately.
2) Commit to a morning fast once or twice a week to give the digestive system a chance to rest and heal. It will also have the added benefit of burning off some of that fat possibly gained over the holiday.
3) Eat lots of greens and drink lots of water to help detox the body from any toxins ingested over the holiday season. I personally don’t feel the need to do a major cleanse as I feel like if treated right, the body will cleanse itself so just make it a priority to fill that plate up with goodness.
4) Say no to alcohol for January. I know it’s hard but let’s ditch the booze for the next couple weeks to give the body a chance to reset. Let’s call it No Alcohol January!
5) Get back into your exercise routine. No need to go super hard on the first day back, but get your body moving and ready to put some energy into a good sweat. Make a plan and commit to it this month so that it becomes a habit again.
That’s it! Thanks Jenia for these awesome tips. I know I will be following all of them to get myself back on track. What will you commit to for January to get your health back? Let me know in the comments.