Ok let’s just get this out the way. I LOVE scones like OMG love scones. Maybe it’s the British/Bermudian thing or maybe it’s just that quick breads are really delicious. Either way, I love scones.
When I go to grab a coffee, I always want a scone and I often go for high tea and ask for extra scones cuz scones are the best.
But what I didn’t realize was how easy it is to make them at home. I thought they would take forever and never come out right. Then I started experimenting and realized that couldn’t be further from the truth.
So today, I give you the BEST scone recipe that I make out of my kitchen at least once a week. Please follow the instructions exactly and make sure your butter, eggs and milk are super cold. I promise if you follow the instructions, you will have delicious, flaky scones in no time!
Make them this weekend and let me know how you enjoy them!
The BEST Scones
Easy, delicious scones that come out perfect every single time.
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- 1 Tsp Sea salt
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Stick unsalted butter, very cold
- 1 Large egg, very cold
- 1/2 Cup Whole milk, very cold
- 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup Mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 Cup Demerara sugar
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and sea salt in a stand mixer. Mix to combine.
- Dice the butter into 16 pieces. The easiest way to do this is to slice the butter lengthwise them in half lengthwise again. Then slice to dice it. Add diced butter to the stand mixer and mix on medium until the butter is the size of small peas and is crumbly. Add the chocolate chips and mix.
- Beat the egg and add to the milk in a glass measuring cup or something you can slowly pour from. Add the vanilla and mix with a fork to combine.
- Turn the mixer on it’s lowest setting and slowly pour the milk mixture into the dry mixture. Do this very slowly because you don’t want to make the dough too wet. Stop pouring once it comes together. You will have milk leftover, which you will use to brush the top of the scones.
- Turn the dough out onto a piece of parchment dusted with flour. Press the dough into a square about an inch thick. Cut the dough in half and then again. Then cut it diagonal until you have eight even sized pieces.
- At this point, heat the oven to 375. While the oven is heating, put the scones on a baking tray lined with parchment. Evenly space them out. Using a pastry brush, brush the top of each scone with the milk/egg mixture then sprinkle the Demerara sugar on top. Put the scones in the freezer while the oven heats.
- Bake the scones for 15-18 minutes, depending on your oven. You want the scones to be golden brown on top. Take them out of the oven and let cool for about five minutes before eating. These scones are best eaten on the same day but can be reheated in a toaster oven the next day.